Friday, April 19, 2013

Why Catholics Should Read the Bible

One of the priests at our parish always jokes about how Catholics don't know the Bible -- it's his not-so-subtle way of scolding us... I think he's directing it at me, because I'm guilty of it. Eeps.

This brings up a memory... I was sitting in a circle with other high schoolers in our Catholic youth group. I barely knew anyone -- the seniors looked really intimidating..

"Hi everyone! So let's go around the circle and introduce ourselves. And say what your favorite book of the Bible is!"

Shoot. My favorite book of the Bible? What ARE the books in the Bible? Would it be too cliche to say one of the Gospels? I could say Psalms, I guess, but I never read it. It's probably not a good idea to lie... (that's a sin!). The person in front of me said Sirach (that exists?! never heard of it). I can't remember what I said -- probably mumbled something like "I like everything that I read in the Bible.. when I read it..." SOO awkward..

At least one benefit from reading the Bible
is some good pick up lines
You'd think after that mortifying moment, I'd go home and read the Bible from cover to cover. Maybe I tried, actually, but I probably didn't get past the genealogy of Jesus in Genesis and just tabled the Bible for later consultation.

Certainly someone must have told me that it was important to read the Bible. Only in the past five years have I realized the importance of reading the Bible.

We talk about Jesus all the time at church. He's kind of a big deal. And the best way to know what He's all about is to read the Bible. When I attended Bible study for the first time, I was surprised at how rich the text is -- those parables sure are something! Even as you sit with a short passage, the deeper you dig into it, the more you discover. It's like a bubbling well of revelations -- it's really mysterious how thousands of years later, this text is still just as astonishingly powerful and life-changing to people of all cultures and backgrounds.

Why don't Catholics read the Bible? Maybe because during Sunday Mass, we already hear a good portion of it -- the first reading is usually from the Old Testament, the second reading from the letters from St. Paul, and the Gospel from one of the big four (I mean Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). And I think that's great! If you go to Mass consistently for three consecutive years, then you'll hear most of the Bible. But I realize that it's actually not enough.

When we go to Mass, we listen to the Word as a community; when we read the Bible on our own, God speaks closely to you. It's like hearing a talk in a crowded lecture hall and going to office hours to talk about the talk. Reading the Bible individually is a way to personally encounter Christ. For two years in row, I spent my winter break reading a chapter of Proverbs every day. The second time reading brought new things to light. (It's like reading Harry Potter -- it never gets old!)

The Bible has a way of speaking to you. It lifts you up, shares in your sufferings, sings praises with you, prays with you. As Catholics, we have both Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture. When making decisions and fully living out the faith, we need both the Word of God and also the 2000 years of teachings. We also need our brain and our heart. The faith isn't a safety blanket to only give you warm fluffy feelings all the time. It engages the brain and stretches the heart. It brings together our intelligence, our emotions, Catholic Traditions and teachings, and the Word of God.

So join me as I read the Bible? I may be 20 years late in getting started, but it's been a pretty awesome journey so far as I make my way through the many pages. :) And to end this post on a funny note, the heychristiangirl memes are too much for me hahahhaha:
http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/upload/34058540902736364_9dlt5gvJ_b.jpg
Orlando Bloom wants to read the Bible with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment